Friday, June 22, 2007

Well That's Done!

The housecleaning and laundry that is. There are days when I really wonder why I wanted so badly to get married when I was a teenager. This would be one of them, well...for a minute or two, just before I finally got a chance to sit down and have lunch with my husband and, wouldn't you know it? Inside three minutes he not only reminded why I so desperately wanted to marry him, he also reminded why I love him.

I'm not sure if it is silly or sweet, the way little things make such a difference in the day to day hum drum life of a country housewife. I am sure that I am grateful for each and every silly moment we have.

I really did have quite a busy morning and I also walked two miles on my treadmill (ugh!). I was sort of grumbling to myself because I had to stop and make Don his lunch... (Several things now come to mind concerning the "having to stop and make lunch" thing. First, he is a grown man, quite capable of preparing his own meals. Second, he had been working all morning too. Third it did give my back a much needed break. ) So there we sat talking about whatever it was, then there was a lull in the conversation and we suddenly noticed a robin in the tree near the kitchen was raising a truly horrendous ruckus. Don grinned and said, "I had a long talk with a robin in that tree earlier, when I was picking up a fallen branch. I told him just to pipe down. I am the one who pays the taxes on this place!"

And there you have it. My heart went, ah... sigh... That's why I him love so. He is so real. How many grown men will admit to talking to a bird in a tree? Or one better, how many men would take the time to stop and save a poor little bird that was frozen to a tree branch in the dead of winter? My Don did, and that is why I married him. I only hope that I occasionally remind him why he loves me and why we married :-).

On to other things. Last night I finally finished Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child. I have to say it. What a book! The whole thing. From 3,000 feet above the desert floor, to the pedantically minded school teacher from Reacher's childhood, to good-byes at LAX, it was, well...thrilling. Slainte, Lee. Congratulations on another job well done.

All things must end, and I have to go now.

There is always hope.

Betty

No comments: