Friday, June 1, 2007

The Subjective Truth

We, as a society, place a high value on truth. I believe myself to be a person of truth, I think honesty is the highest character trait we can can possess. But, am I really a truthful person? The issue of honesty is extremely important to me at this juncture in my life. The lack of honesty in family members and other people I have known through the years is the primary excuse I use for closing myself away from the world. Do I, have I protested so loudly I was unable to hear the false note in my own speech?

There are, in my opinion and experience, versions of the truth. The truth really is subjective. I can not begin to tell you how many times my husband and I have been sitting side by side and heard or saw two completely different things. It does boggle my mind. We are, each of us, convinced our own version is the truth, we can not be swayed. What madness this? These days, when I am certain of something I stick to it like glue. How do people deal with two versions of the same story? Actually I think there must be three versions of the truth; mine, yours and the real truth. Our way of dealing with the problem is to declare a draw. It is the best way, that way we are both right.

What of feelings? I tell you now, if there is any way to avoid hurting someone else's feelings I will. I have lied, omitted particulars, avoided the subject; why I have even gone so far as to avoid the person in question. I am notorious for not answering my phone. Shoot the thing, I say. Who needs a phone? Sorry, that is a topic for another day.

I must be afraid of hurting my own feelings. I am avoiding the main point. There really is no point in hurting someone if no harm will be done in giving them a reprieve. But, that is the only real justifiable reason to lie that I can think of at the moment, though even this exception has limits. And here is the conundrum. Why, if we as a society place such a high value on honesty, do we perpetually lie and mislead each other? If the answer to that is because it is human nature, then I am sorry to say I will continue my semi-reclusive lifestyle. I'll brave the hurts of the world when Lee Child is near enough to see or when something interests me, but for the most part I will stay at home and live on my own terms. Better for all concerned, I think.

Silly isn't it? The things a person thinks about while cleaning the bathroom :).

There is always hope.

Betty

No comments: