Thursday, June 21, 2007

Happy Summer Solstice

Thank heavens, we have arrived. The summer solstice is today! I must tell you, if it hasn't been the sun and moon and the stars filling my brain with perpetual fog, I don't know what else it could be.

As I mentioned previously, I can't recall the solstice having had a negative effect on my emotional state in the past. Which kind of set me to thinking about those silly superstitions concerning the full moon and things like astronomy. For me, I have noticed in the past that the full moon in April and September usually make me feel a little out of whack. My bad temper, which for the most part is hardly noticeable, rears it's nasty head in the days immediately surrounding those lunar events. And then, being forewarned, I strive to keep my temper in-check. Here is my question. During all those other months of the year when I notice no marked difference in my mood or attitude, does that mean the sun and the moon and the stars are a positive influence? Curious, isn't it?

You must be wondering where on earth I come up with some of these things :). I believe I am happier as a person, living on a more cerebral plain. A place where I can process everything I see and hear and do. I can examine my own reactions and what I perceive to be the reactions of others, and I file these impressions into the appropriate category. Once filed away my busy little mind becomes quite loquaciously thrilled with the new fodder. One of the greatest things about living inwardly as opposed to outwardly is the luxury (some might call it a liability) to make decisions fairly quickly. After all, I have experienced a fair share of most things so far in my lifetime, happiness, stress, sadness, fear, pain and even uncertainty. The biggest lesson I have learned to this point is, when a decision is required, make one and don't look back. I am a bridge burner.

As for this day, let it stretch out and last a good long time. It is the longest day of the year and of course that means the days will once again become shorter as summer swings to autumn. Yes, let it last. I have survived the haze this long. Another few hours will not matter in the least.

If my theory about the solstice is correct, tomorrow I will be able to tell you what I think of Lee Child's, Bad Luck and Trouble.

There is always hope.

Betty




No comments: