Monday, June 4, 2007

Confusing Conundrum

A quiet moment; a pause in the demanding job of hostess. These moments are rare. It would be silly to pass up this opportunity to explore the conundrum I am facing. So...onward, let us explore.

The title of this blog suggests that I am a lonely person, that assumption is re-enforced in the header. It is true. I spend what feels to me like a terrible quantity of time alone. I am convinced Don would much rather watch television, run or go to the dentist than listen to my inane babbling. So, now that I have what amounts to a captive audience, why don't I talk my fool head off? Answer: because they don't want to hear my opinions any more than he does. Do I want to hear their opinion? Most assuredly, yes. Nevertheless, it is impossible to have a conversation with Homer or Irene. Whatever the topic, they have an opinion and it is the only opinion that counts. They will not be swayed. They are not interested in hearing another view. That may sound harsh but I must remind you that this blog is about discovery and I have discovered that pointing the finger inward can lead to new insight of the outward world. Moreover, I believe that most people think their own views are the only view that really matter. And, it would seem, they are correct. It is one of the characteristics that define us as individuals.

This visit from them has reminded me that being alone is not always a bad thing. Particularly when the alternative is one opinionated person being confined with other opinionated people and none of them are accustomed to spending more than a couple of hours in company. I really have to say I do love them, they are good, honest and caring people. I think the bottom line is, we have too much in common.

Don is lousy at multitasking. There is absolutely no way he can entertain the both of them. And he can only manage one for a very short period of time. Bless his heart. Don't think poorly of me. He reads this blog.

Oh, I am so confused. If I am lonely, why am I not thrilled to have company? I should be doing the Snoopy dance and singing. Maybe tomorrow.

There is always hope.

Betty




No comments: