Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Homer and Irene

Every time we are with Homer and Irene, I look at them and see us in another 30 years. How could I not? Granted, Don is much more active than Homer was at the same age, but still. Apparently people muddle along fairly content with their abilities and accomplishments until, boom, out of the blue they wake up one morning and find they can't even put on their own socks. What a terrible thing that must be.

I use Homer and Irene as the yard stick against which I measure life and aging. They are the oldest couple I know and have been married nearly 60 years. I am certain anyone who encountered them for the first time (as a fly on the wall) would think they dislike each other immensely, and that is probably true. I don't believe I have ever seen a tender moment between them. Affection is, I believe, alien to them . They really do frighten me when I think about 50 or 60 years of marriage, 50 or 60 years with the same irritating habits and character traits. I am not talking about Don. I am talking about me. For the love of Montgomery, I know I must drive him mad now. What will he feel like in another 20 or 30 years? It is too terrible to contemplate.

They say (whoever they are) that getting old is better than the alternative. I would be willing to bet Irene doesn't think so. She told me she was ready to die when she was in her mid sixties. I can't help but think that would be a miserable way to live. Just think of all the things she missed out on in the past fifteen years that she could have done then, but is incapable of doing now. Think of all the beautiful things she must have seen and heard but was not able to feel them. And as for Homer, I think he is very bitter. Age, is a tough pill to swallow, he says. Now they just sit around waiting to die. This is too sad to talk about.

It looks as though they may be going home Wednesday or Thursday. Bless their hearts. I really do love them. Don and I are just unaccustomed to having house guests for more than a few hours at a time. He is just as frustrated as I am. I only wanted the three of them to have some time together because there is no way of knowing how much time they have left. Yes, I admit to having encouraged this visit. Don is my only family and I don't ever want him to regret not having spent time with his family. I guess that is for them to come to terms with and not for me to interfere. I have been taught my lesson on this topic and I will not soon forget it.

There is always hope.

Betty



No comments: