Monday, September 10, 2007

Yea! Relief Is In Sight

Relief is in sight. At least I hope so; my appointment with the neurologist has been moved up to this Thursday, the 13th. I do hope to find the answer to my headache problem, though I have a terrible suspicion I my have done this to myself.

I have Trigeminal Neuralgia and I stopped taking one of my medications for it back in January. I believe I had legitimate concerns about taking Neurontin, a drug that affects (coincidentally) the nervous system. It caused (I believe) me to build up a high tolerance for some other drugs; as an example, the last time I had surgery morphine was not at all effective as a pain killer. That terrified me and I decided, without consulting my doctors, it had to be the Neurontin causing the problem. So I weaned myself off it. A few months later, I noticed an increase in the frequency and severity of my migraines. When I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia, I was having frequent migraines as well as experiencing vision problems. Consequently, I am certain I did this to myself. Now here is the rub; if this summer of agony has been my own doing and the pain can stop by going back onto neurological medication, dare I do it? If taking those medicines causes a tolerance for antihistamines, sleep aids, painkillers, and even morphine, I am not sure I should take them. The last time I needed painkillers after surgery they had to give me Dilaudid and let me tell you, that is very nasty stuff!

What a conundrum. I just cannot wait to be yelled at for stopping the medicine (extremely factitious here) without consulting a doctor. Okay, okay! Enough of that. Bigger fish to fry here tomorrow. I will introduce you to Larry’s wife. She is a bit of a snob and as Cornelia would say, she is rather snarky, but she has her moments and since I don’t have to live with her, we got on just fine.

There is always hope.

Betty

No comments: