Monday, September 17, 2007

The Birthday Party

I was a little surprised at how much I enjoyed myself at the birthday party yesterday. What a sweet young man (he turned 16) such a charmer. Everyone there was obviously devoted to him. It appears he is well cared for and loved, he is in short the apple of his father’s eye. To be truthful, I cannot remember the last time I was at an intimate, personal gathering of friends and family, I was actually quite comfortable.

Of course I will be going to another gathering soon enough. There are as you know, plans for a surprise anniversary party for Irene and Homer.

I have been pondering something one of the women at the party said. One of the women was asking another of the women to come help clean at their church because she was short handed and needed some extra help. She also asked if anyone had an old iron she could use. My first instinct, indeed, what I would have done in days gone by, was to offer my assistance in cleaning the church (I had no idea what or where the church was) and offer up my old iron. I clamped my mouth shut and did not say a word. Should I have volunteered my assistance? Probably... maybe not - I just don't know.

We stopped for ice cream while we were out yesterday and we bumped into Larry and Marda. Larry was his usual droopy-eyed self but Marda looked a little drawn and stressed. She was not quite as open as she usually is. I do wonder what that is all about. I will have to call her in a few days; I do not want to appear to be snooping.

To finish recapping Sunday, I have to say I am so glad I picked the wrong team. That is what I get for being a naysayer. Cleveland beat Cincinnati! The other good news was no headache, which made two full days headache free. It was, once again, a beautiful late summer day, complete with cool but not cold temperatures and sunny skies decorated with the occasional cumulus cloud. In short, it was a perfect day.

There is always hope.

Betty

No comments: