Saturday, September 22, 2007

A New Endeavor

For crying in a bucket! Will it never end? We went to the ER again Friday evening. My headache has finally gone and since I do not dare risk waking the beast, this post once again, is short.

I have decided (and this may well change) as soon as my headaches are under control, I am going to try my hand at writing a book. Just for the fun of it and because poor Elizabeth is begging to have her story told. The working title is not very original and will of course change in time, but now it is “My Name Is Elizabeth”.

Elizabeth Mercer is 4’10” tall, as cute as a baby doll and as fierce as a ferret. She has pinned grown men over 6’ tall to the wall with nothing more than a pointed finger and determination. She can out shoot most of the men of her acquaintance and has had the opportunity in her Appellation community of Sardis, Ohio to prove both her skills in shooting a gun and her determination to protect the only things a man ever gave her that were worth keeping; her children. Her story starts out in 1950’s Sardis, Ohio and moves through to Fly and Woodsfield, in the 2007.

I am both excited and anxious at the thought of writing this book. I can only imagine the challenges in doing such a thing. I hope I am not a failure. For my own sake I think I should define, what I feel will be success in this endeavor. Completion of a book length manuscript that tells a comprehensive story with a beginning a middle and an end would be a huge accomplishment. As you know, there is much more to it than that. I am loaded with how to books including my favorite writing gurus’ books on the subject, Spider, Spin Me a Web: Lawrence Block on Writing Fiction as well as his book, Writing the Novel. All right, you caught me; I guess I have come out now. I have large quantities of books on writing and more than 20 years of Writer’s Digest moldering on my bookshelves. I suppose those along with 48 years experience in living just might be enough to enable me to write a story for my own entertainment.

There is always hope.

Betty

No comments: