Friday, September 7, 2007

The Stoic Oracle

Of the millions of personality traits, we humans exhibit, I think in my top ten list of least favorite mannerisms is stoicism. I just don’t get it. What in the world, could anyone possibly hope to gain by being stoic? The very definition of the word disturbs me. The admirable part of the definition is someone who shows patience and endurance during adversity. Here, here and bully for you if you possess those fine traits. The part I find so discomfiting is the emphasis in the meaning of somebody impassive: somebody who is unemotional. Muttering Mandy! How could anyone willingly live life being impassive and unemotional? Passivity is well and good in the occasional social circumstance but I am talking about living. For goodness sake, shake it up a bit and invest some emotion in life. I truly detest it when people make the decision to passively sit back and watch the rest of us live. Because I believe, those people are judging us with what they see as wisdom and disdain.

One thing though, I am wondering, do I live a life of passivism? By being reclusive and avoiding, the things that make me uncomfortable like crowds and noisy places am I one of those detested people whom…no. I am not one of those people who watches, judges, and feels as though they are oracular.

Enough!

There is always hope.

Betty

No comments: