Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Wilds of Ohio

Some of the best “ah,” moments in life sneak up on us when we least expect them. Small vignettes so perfectly detailed and exquisitely finished we know they will stay with us for the rest of our lives. Then when needs be, we can pull out one of those wonderful moments that like a finished gem have been tumbled to a fine polish and glow, we can loose our selves in the gentle facets of life. I imagine not even the ravages of time can diminish the beauty of moments like those.

The other evening, while I puttered in the kitchen, I glanced out the window and saw three deer in the yard. I do not know who was more startled, them or me. It was a momma and her two younglings and the young ones were still sporting their spots. We stared, transfixed at each other for a long moment before the young ones flicked their ridiculously big ears and a long shiver racked them from nose to tail; their long spindly legs, like rubberized twigs danced and shifted bringing the rear half forward and then shooting the front straight out in one swift motion. They bounced around the yard, investigating every flowerbed, shrub and tree. Their mother watched placidly as she savored the treat of the saltlick we put out expressly for them. I watched them until gloaming when they wandered back to our wood and their beds. Another “ah” moment filed safely away.

I am indeed a fortunate person, moments like that are frequent here. When we purchased our property it was exceptionally well maintained, no undergrowth in the wood or excessive trees in the yard. I am happy to relay the fact that all of that has changed. Our property is wildlife friendly. Birds, beasts and flowers, we have them all and I am glad of it. We don’t care if the bunnies or deer nibble on the tender young shoots of tulips in the spring. We feed the birds in the winter and water them in the summer. We enjoy watching all the babies in the spring and we eagerly await the appearance of our resident humming birds and hawks. Rabbits, squirrels, groundhogs raccoons and possums all safely reside alongside deer. It is I think a magical place. It is peaceful here.

My mind has been so restless these last few weeks, whether because of headaches or brooding over family matters I cannot say. It is during these down times that I find myself pulling out one of my gems and I lose myself in the gentle glow of my memories.

There is always hope.

Betty

No comments: