Thursday, May 24, 2007

Little Victories

I drove on through the night pursued by demons of my own making. Doubt, insecurity and mirthless self-abasement. I was shrouded in a aching loneliness so dark and desolate I was very nearly brought to my knees by the weight of it. Still, I survived, I made it through. Just another little victory in a lifetime of little victories. When I woke this morning I knew I had passed the worst part of the funk I have been in. Immediately Bob Seger's song "Little Victories" came to mind. By the time lunch rolled round I was humming"The Time of Your Life" by Little Steven. My word. It really is completely draining when the loneliness gets so bad I question my own existence. That is a degree of loneliness I wish to never experience again. But I will, eventually. And I will have another little victory. There is a lot of chatter going on at the moment at the http://www.leechild.com forum. "Bad Luck And Trouble" hits the NYT at #2. I am very happy for Lee and all of his fans. I spent a little too much time on the site earlier. This evening my husband, Don, and I are going to see Pirates of The Caribbean At Worlds End. I am also a Johnny Depp fan, well... and an Orlando Bloom fan:-). It should be fun. An observation on Reacher. Someone on the forum commented on the change in him in BL&T. I think it would be very unlikely to find two people who have less in common than Reacher and I and yet, we have much in common. I admire him for living by the rules of morality, I understand his loneliness. The need to have his own space contrary to his need to be a part of something. He is straightforward and complex. Lee Child is brilliant! I can't wait to meet him. Betty

No comments: