Thursday, May 31, 2007

Euphoria and Exhaustion

Were people meant to experience the giddy thrill of euphoria while being struck by the near debilitating force of an anxiety attack? I don't think we are. I can tell you, it left me exhausted. I would do it again tomorrow : ).

We arrived in Dayton (Fairborn to be technical about it) at about 2:00. We wanted to check in to our suite and have a little down time at the hotel before going to the book store. I wanted my husband to have a little fun too, after all, without him I would not have been able to pull off this trip. I really wanted to take a nap and get a little rest but I was unable to sleep. We managed to entertain ourselves until I could, at last, meet Lee Child.

It started about twenty minutes before we were going to leave. There is no delicate way to describe what happened. I broke out in a true sweat. A clothing drenching, stomach churning, knee knocking sweat. I don't know how I managed it, but I made it to the book store without turning to a salty heap of goo. Actually, by the time we got to the book store I was feeling a little better. Feeling better naturally boosted my courage. I was feeling pretty good about myself, sort of giving myself a metaphorical pat on the back. Maybe the worst of it was over. Then again...

I am not exaggerating. The very minute I walked through the doors of Books & Co. it started all over again.. The first thing I did was go straight to the information desk and get the first nine Reacher books (they were holding them for me) and then we went upstairs to get my line number (it was 25 and I still have it) and my copy of Bad Luck And Trouble. Don stayed upstairs and held our seats while I went back downstairs to pay for my books. And that is when it all hit full force. I was so excited. In just a few moments I would see him! Then, anxiety. What was I doing there? What was I doing? I should just leave before I embarrassed my husband or myself. Were people staring at me? Could they see how profusely I was sweating? Surely they had to see it. My stomach was in knots. I had to be a sight. I am surprised they let me stay in the store!

By the time I got back upstairs my knees were knocking. I found my husband and sat down, I knew the entire group had to know what was happening to me. I was sweating so badly, rivulets were running through my scalp and down my back. I couldn't stand it. I found the restroom and proceeded to try to mop up the mess that was me. Naturally the only way to dry your hands in that particular bathroom was a blow dryer (curse them!) so I used the only thing available, toilet paper. Feeling nowhere near collected but resigned to my fate, I went back out and waited for a glimpse of Lee. Then, it was nearly a miracle that I didn't start laughing like the fool I am, (when I was younger I always laughed hysterically when I was nervous) because it suddenly occurred to me that when the time came to actually walk up to Lee and ask him to sign my book... he would look up and see the thousands of little specks of damp toilet paper that were no doubt clinging to my very wet skin. I was so humiliated.

Thankfully, there was no clinging toilet paper. Lee talked for about an hour and then he signed books and graciously posed for photos. Soaking wet and trembling, I bravely stepped forward and handed him my books. He personalized them for me, "Betty, best always, Lee Child". I asked if my husband could take my picture with him and he happily agreed. I do have to say, my goodness, he is tall!

When all was said and done, I left the store shaking like a paint mixer and walking on air. I am already looking forward to my next opportunity to see him... well, I would like to see him, but...

I'll tell you later what Lee talked about. For now, remember, there is always hope.

Betty

No comments: