Sunday, May 27, 2007

A Fine Fettle I'll Be In

Holiday weekends are not the be all and end all for everyone. I worked for years in retail and I can assure you that while the Monday through Friday, 9 - 5 people were out having a grand time of it, I was working. Woe the poor people who work in the service industries, stores and restaurants. It is sad to say but the truth of it is that people who work in those industries are seldom given a holiday off. I can say from personal experience that Christmas was just a day off when I worked retail. I will also say with conviction, there is very little that could ever entice me to return to that particular grindstone. So here's to all hard working people. Especially the ones who have to work holidays, like our military, and policemen and nurses and firemen. You are the ones who make this country great. Cheers to you. Tomorrow will be a brighter day for me. I will be working myself into a fine fettle in anticipation of going to Dayton. As is typical for me, I am now almost wishing I hadn't made all the arrangements to go there. I don't understand why I do this, but I often do. I make plans for something I am interested in or excited about and then I want to back out at the last minute. It all comes down to the suffocating feeling I get when I leave home. I break out in a sweat and breathing becomes nearly impossible. I know it is called anxiety and I know it is not uncommon. I really wish I would just grow up and get past it. Going to Dayton is supposed to be one the biggest things that has ever happened to me. I mean, come on! I am going to meet Lee Child! I should be so excited I can barely contain myself. I am that excited actually... As I said I will be working myself into a fine fettle tomorrow. As for this day. It has been a lazy one. Don is at home today. We haven't done much and we don't intend to do anything this evening but watch a movie. Speaking of movies, we watched Mrs. Palfrey At The Claremont last night. It is one of my favorite movies. Joan Plowright is such a beautiful actress. I wish she would adopt me. As for Rupert Friend... well what a handsome young man. Not a bad actor really. Tonight, who knows what we'll watch. I want very much to push the loneliness I feel aside. Popcorn and a move doesn't help, we have a very big couch. The upside is that we also have a very big TV :). There is always hope. Betty

No comments: