Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Review Of Stardust

A couple of days ago we went to see Stardust. In case you are curious about this little summer sleeper, I think it deserves more attention, I am posting my review from Epinions.

Fantastically Romantic, Stardust

I can imagine no sweeter way to open this romantic fairy tale than with the incomparable Ian McKellen narrating. It made the transition from the here and now into the sleepy little village of Wall seamless. He brings us to a sleepy little village in England known as Wall. The village shares a boundary wall with the neighboring realm of Storm. And it is the wall that plays a very important part in the film.

Crossing from one side of the wall to the other is discouraged. So much so, that a guard has been placed on the English side of the wall to prevent such things from happening. My first good chuckle came when Dunstan Thorn (Ben Barnes) tries to get past the guard, played to perfection by David Kelly. With a little luck and a bit of trickery, Dunstan soon finds himself over the wall and in the magical realm of Storm, where he meets and falls in love with a princess.
Nine months later the guard from the wall informs Dunstan (now played by Nathaniel Parker) that a package was left for him at the wall. The package contains, among other things, his newborn son, Tritan.

Forward eighteen years or so Tristan (Charlie Cox) finds himself infatuated and (he thinks) in love. He wants nothing more than his loves hand in marriage. She will only marry him if he crosses the wall and brings back a fallen star.With help from his father, Tristan soon finds himself in a the company of Yvaine (Claire Danes) and the adventure begins in earnest.

Director Matthew Vaughn has produced what will undoubtedly become a classic. I know I will be purchasing the soundtrack, Ian Eshkeri has written a beautiful and exciting musical experience. The costumes, makeup, sets special effects and the sound are all top notch.

Peter O'Toole (the King) gave a short but excellent performance. In my opinion the entire cast (and they were all wonderful) was upstaged by the performances of Michelle Pfeiffer and Robert DeNiro. They dominated their scenes and both were brilliantly funny.

All said, I think this is a great movie if you are looking for a little light hearted (with a slightly dark edge) movie. I do not think I would take younger children to see it, say under 10 years old. I don't believe the story line would hold their attention and it is a slightly darker story (they talk about eating Yvaine's heart) than I think they should see. Your children, your decision but that's the way I see it.

************************************************************************

I know, quite an opinion :) What can I say? Truly, I am not so full of myself as to think it actually matters to anyone what I think. I just have this need to express myself out loud, so to speak. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read.

There is always hope.

Betty

No comments: