Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Good Gracious I Never Thought I Would Finish That Book

~~~~~*****Caution: Spoiler for The Deathly Hallows*****~~~~~

With loads of help from Don, I finally finished the book. After a couple of trips to the ER for migraines, Don was beside himself with impatience. He wanted me to read the book so we could discuss it. He polished it off the weekend it arrived. After the last trip to the ER he decided there was no reason I had to wait to read the book, he was going to read it to me. What a wonderful thing that was! I can not, at this moment express just what it meant to me to listen as he read to me. It was, for me, a rare and special gift. It was thoughtful and sweet and I will cherish those moments and hold them in my heart always.

As for the book. In short, I was highly disappointed. It seemed to me there were entirely too many questions left unanswered at the end. There were deaths that seemed cruel and wrong throughout the book. They neither moved the story forward or effected the outcome, as nearly as I could tell. I will admit that at least two issues were explained to my satisfaction, Dumbledore and Snape. As it turns out, I was right about Snape. Never give up hope! I don't know why JKR wrote this book without her usual spark. It felt to me as if she had given in and was trying to write things that would look good on screen. I can hardly believe that, but the thought does occur. So...I rate book seven 3 1/2 stars. As the shock and horror of the deaths have had time to sink in I may feel a little more kindly toward The Hallows. Time will tell.

Now that I have prattled on about that, shall we move on? I have just today begun reading A Field Of Darkness by Cornelia Read. It is looking very promising. The lady has STYLE in trumps! And now, at 3;30 AM I suppose I should call it a night and get to bed.

There is always hope.

Betty

No comments: