Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Great Lady Bug Hunt Begins

As I told you, I am writing a children's story. There have been several surprises for me since I first began this adventure. First, it is more difficult than I had anticipated, writing a story that conveys a message without sounding like a textbook. Second, my protagonists are little older than I thought they were, I had imagined them to be in the three to five year age group and they are instead seven and eight. Perhaps they are small for their ages. LOL Another problem I encountered is that the parent's seem determined to become involved in the Lady Bug hunt. That sent me back to Go and I had to begin all over again. Woe, the life of the amateur writer, I love it.

Without further ado, here follows my few short lines of the beginning of The Great Lady Bug Hunt. By and by, I do know ladybug is one word but for the purpose of the story, it is two.

**********************************************************************************************

The Great Lady Bug Hunt

Boomer had waited a very long time to return to his Aunt Hattie's house in Ohio, in fact, he waited nearly an entire year and that was quite long enough thank you. He wiggled around in the back seat of the car and asked, "Are we there yet?" for the ten gazillionth time. His parents both smiled and nodded their heads as his mother slowed the car and turned the wheel, Boomer felt a gentle thump and then the car wheels were crunching gravel as they pulled onto a long gravel driveway.

"Bill and Amy are already here. Oscar beat you to the top bunk buddy, I don't want you two fighting over it. Got it?" Boomer's father said as he opened the car door.

"Okay, but I get to…" We will never know what it was that Boomer wanted because at precisely that moment a head topped with brown curls followed by a stout little body clad in a blue tee-shirt and shorts pummeled him, nailing Boomer flat on the floor of the car. Sticky hands pressed his head back and Boomer was glaring into the broadly grinning, chocolate covered face of his cousin.

"Hi yah, Boomer! Gotcha didn't I?" laughed Oscar.

*********************************************************************

And there you have it; you may have guessed that it appears to be working itself up to being a much longer story than I had originally planned. As for the message, I do hope I can figure that out! At this point, my goal is to have enough new work to make a respectable post of it next Saturday.

There is always hope.





.

2 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

Looking forward to reading more. I think just about every kid i know has uttered "Are we there yet?"

Betty said...

Theses two little guys are named after my great-nephew's. They are 1 1/2 and 1 year old and if they are anything like their parent's the family is in for another couple of life times of glorious fun.