Saturday, June 28, 2008

American Conservative Ideology an Archaic Concept

This may come as a complete shock to those of you who regularly read this blog but I am about as conservative a Midwesterner as you will ever encounter. Yes, I was being facetious and now you know why I never intentionally write humor. The conservative part however is true. I really do not like to blog about politics but it is impossible to ignore the subject. We shouldn’t want to ignore it but I confess I am sick to death of two year political races that have the outcome determined by the press months before I ever have the opportunity to cast a vote and have my say. I realize I am pouring water on cold ashes but even in my current state of mind where very little has the ability to stir an emotion in me this topic comes through clearly.

When my choices on the Republican ticket were narrowed down to one candidate in January, I was beside myself with fury. Even now, I cannot believe that we let the press dictate to us who the candidate would be long before the Primary season got into full swing. But they did, we did and there went the Republican ticket. So I turned to the Democratic ticket in my fury and I thought well, I am going to give Obama a fair chance to convince me that he can do the job. His age is not an issue or his lack of experience if he selects good advisers and is willing to keep on a few key people for the short term. I was open minded and ready to listen. As for Hillary, she was in consideration, her best asset in my eyes is that I know precisely what to expect from her. There will be no surprises and there will be no skeletons jumping from her closets. Then up popped Rev. Write and all of the rest and other than the very inspired speech Obama gave In Philadelphia (which might have been his get out of jail free card if nothing else had happened) and suddenly Obama was removed from my list of feasible candidates. There I was teetering between having to accept McCain and jumping onto his wagon or accepting Hillary and jumping onto her wagon and what happens then? Why the press started driving the point home that there was no way that Hillary could get the nomination it was in fact not only an improbability it was an impossibility.

John McCain is a man of honor, he is a hero and we as Americans are indebted to him and every other man and woman who has ever sacrificed for this country. It is my sincere hope that Obama remember that during this campaign and that he afford McCain the respect that is his due. Speaking of the men and women who put their lives on the line for the rest of us, I believe it would behoove Obama to pay them a visit since it is his intent and that of the press that he be their next Commander in Chief.

Moderation in everything they say; moderate ideology is required politically in this country at this point in time. Conservatives such as me are apparently in the minority and I say our only real hope of survival is moderation. We have to slide just a little closer to the center of the isle. I will never know if I would have actually voted for Hillary when I got into the voting booth but I do know that I am miles from voting for Obama. My vote is too precious a freedom to throw away and I refuse to stay at home in November just because the press has already determined whom our next president will be. You never really know, strange things do happen.

There is always hope.

No comments: