Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Great Lake Swimmer and Other Discoveries

Great Lake Swimmer, what a name for a musical group; for that matter wow what a musical group. I urge you to check them out, though I am a little reluctant to try describing musical style. I know what I like and that is about all I know when it comes to music, but they are so great (no pun intended) it just might be fun to try, just this once. So; if the collective creative energy of Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, Arlo Guthrie and Neal Young all merged into a single entity, I believe the result would be the Great Lake Swimmers. Does that help? Does it form a murky picture of smoky basement bars and musical jam sessions that last until every story has been translated to a natural, lyrical rhythm? If the Marley reference in such close company with Dylan, Guthrie and Young sounds a little too discordant, think again. In my opinion, Marley was a brilliant lyricist who also happened to translate the life pulse of words far more effectively than other more decorated wordsmiths. At any rate, I am thrilled that I stumbled upon them while checking out free music downloads at CNET.com. Their web page is cool as well: http://www.greatlakesswimmers.com/.

Another recent discovery having nothing at all to do with music is my propensity for darkness. Obviously migraines demand darkness, what I do not understand is why I crave darkness when I do not have a headache. I also hold my head and cover my eyes even when I am headache free. I wonder if the reason is that I have spent so much time in pain lately that shielding myself has become reflexive. Whatever the reason, it is a little disconcerting to find myself cringing from the light and cowering in corners.

Even having his kids over for another dinner did not help Don’s team make it to state this year. Another season gone and no state competition, the kids were very disappointed but not nearly as disappointed as their coach. I will give him credit; Don is taking it well even though his heart was set on going this year.

I suppose I should end this late night ramble and try again to get some sleep. We went to bed early and I went out like a light only to be awoken by the uncomfortable sound of mucus rattling in my chest. I cannot stand that sound. One should never be able to hear ones self breathe. It just is not natural! I am beginning to think this dratted cold will live longer than I will Well…off I go to sweet dreams.

There is always hope.

Betty

No comments: