Saturday, July 14, 2007

Have You Ever Read Clive Cussler?

Have you ever read a Clive Cussler book? I read Black Wind (the audio version) while on vacation. It was my first experience reading his work and I have to say I thought it was a really good book. Meeting the Pitt family was fun, they have an interesting dynamic and I think it would be worth while to go backward and read up on what I may have missed. Something tells me that Summer, Dirk Sr. and Dirk Jr. have not known each other all that long, though I am in no way sure of that. It's just an assumption I made after observing their interaction in Black Wind.


Just in case you are interested, I have written a rough review of Black Wind. The book begins in 1944 on two Japanese Imperial Navy submarines, one headed for the American Pacific coastline and the other for the Atlantic coastline with the intention of launching an attack on America with a biological virus so deadly that as much as 30% of the people who are exposed to it could die. The subs were sunk before they reached their goal. Forward to 2007 and the Alaskan Aleutian Islands. Dirk Pitt and his NUMA shipmates answer a distress call from a coastguard outpost and here begins a tale of horrific proportions. Someone out there has recovered at least one of the biological weapons from the bottom of the sea and is intending to resurrect the attack on America. It's up to the Pitt family and their NUMA colleagues to find out who and why and to see to it that they are stopped.


That is a rough approximation of what the book is about and as I said, I enjoyed it. It is a far cry from Lee Child and Jack Reacher but I think the action and suspense were in roughly the same league. Give it a try if you want a well paced action filled book.


There is always hope.


Betty

No comments: