Monday, March 17, 2008

The Open Road the Treadmill and the Party

We watched Into The Wilderness the other day and I have to say I liked the movie, though the ending was not what I expected it to be. I suppose one reason the story appealed to me is that I have always wished that I were brave enough to chuck it all and hit the open road.

I cannot begin to imagine how so much freedom would feel after 49 years of being someone's daughter or wife. Granted, there is very little I would change if I could go back and do it all again... still, I cannot help but wonder. Would that kind of freedom be as gloriously adventurous as I imagine? What would it feel like to wake up to the sound of the ocean and fall asleep to the sounds of the mountains as they settles into rest? Think of the valleys and the rivers and the sunrises and sunsets; and the people. Hard working and proud of it (as they should be) or rich and lazy (as I sometimes wish to be) and what of the people with stories to tell. Beaten down by age and worry or those who have attained a higher plain where their lives are lived in enlightened serenity. The experiences and opportunities are endless. There is no telling what I would give to be brave enough to do those things; I am too much of a coward (and at this point too old) to do anything but dream. Cari (my brave and beautiful niece) knows and I am very proud that courageous woman!

So much for dreaming, it is a sweet luxury that sadly can be endulged in only when time permits. I have much to tell and I believe the best place to start is at the end.

After sleeping in rather late (I worked and traveled all night long in my dreams and was, therefore very tired) I goofed around on the computer for a while (regrettably I had to pester Bill about tickets for the concert on Wednesday because I forget what he told me) and then when Don went off to track practice I forced myself down the basement steps and on to the treadmill. I walked 2 miles today and I have to say it is about time I did! Now if I can only force myself to repeat that feat again tomorrow I will have a good start to spring.

Yesterday, we had the Indoor Track Team over for an end of season party. It's always fun for me when they come over and I wish it could be more often. We had lasagna, watched two movies and ate the surprise birthday cake Liz and Haley brought for Don; they also gave him a very nice gift card for one of his favorite restaurants. I think they enjoyed themselves, or at least I hope they did.

Time is running out and Don is home and ready for dinner. Maybe I'll have a little more time to spend here tomorrow after my walk.

There is always hope.

No comments: