Friday, March 7, 2008

A New Perspective

I find it fascinating, the way our preconceptions, perspectives and priorities can change in the blink of an eye. One moment we can be tooling along, a jaunty grin lurking around the corners of our mouths and the next we stop dead in our tracks; the grin replaced by jaw dropping incredulity that we are human and not, as we supposed, immortal. Further, that though we have the knowledge and power to prevent or at least reduce the risks or the severity of those things that would threaten our fragile mortality, we often recognize the problem too late. How then do we find ourselves in this position? When did we make the decision to ignore all common sense and caution and do the exact opposite of what we know to be the healthy and wisest course? In addition, the result of that less than responsible behavior is the undeniable truth that we have put ourselves in jeopardy of becoming at best disabled and at worst dead! We are fallible and the sooner we recognize that fact the sooner we can maneuver ourselves back to the center of the straight and narrow path of life. Back to the safety and surety of the trek trodden so successfully by so many before us; back to the comfort of company of friends and family.


All of that senseless prattle and pretentious posturing has a point. I have been debating exactly what I wanted to say in this post since last Friday. It is difficult and I am not precisely sure why that is. I have been open and honest about personal things here in the past and I found it comforting to express my feelings and concerns. Since I can think of no way to gently reveal the latest development in my long slow slide down; I will just say it. I had a MRI of the brain last week. The results show that I have had several small strokes. NO! There is no need to be overly concerned; but given the problems I have had controlling headaches and Trigeminal Neuralgia my neurologist has referred me to the Cleveland Clinic. WHAT! Well now, that’s something to think about and make no mistake about it.

First item; I am so lucky. I know I am and I cannot begin to imagine all of the truly terrible things a MRI of the brain could have shown. God is truly carrying me right now and I am so grateful for that. Second, just because I have been referred to Cleveland Clinic it doesn’t mean there is some mysterious and fatal problem that only they can handle. Though I do give myself a nod of sympathy due to the fact that the last time I was referred to Columbus University the surgeon found a large and rare tumor that my local hospital somehow missed. Intellectually I know nothing like that will happen this time, it’s just that I have a very vivid imagination and well, the mind will wonder.

I have decided that I will not have another small stroke. I am, as of Monday on a 700 calorie a day diet. I will walk every day for at least 45 minutes and I will not have a big stroke.


There is always hope.

No comments: