Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter, Mayhem and Aliens

Happy Easter! I hope everyone is enjoying this most sacred of all Christian holidays.

As for me, I have recovered from the migraine that rocked my world more forcefully than did the students at Boardman High School’s Project Mayhem concert on Wednesday night. I knew I had a migraine coming on when we went to the concert but it is such a rare thing for us to attend anything the kids (nieces or nephews) do that I just could not back out. Truth told I am very glad I went; we sat with Curt and Erica and were able to see Bill, Amy and Matthew. Regrettably, I was not the only member of his (Matthew’s) fan club and I was unable to get close enough to say hello but even a glimpse from a distance was a treat to these hungry old auntie eyes. As for the concert, it was awesome. Those kids put their hearts into it and it showed; we enjoyed it immensely but Don says next time we’ll try a little harder to make it to a traditional concert LOL.

On to other, worldlier matters; I heard on the news today that Colorado is trying to work out legislation to bring alien workers to their farms; they would arrange transportation for and provide housing to these workers in order to acquire affordable help when they most need it. We should all be concerned with the farmer and his plight since much of his expense shows up in the grocery store. Here is my argument against importing workers. I can promise you that there are American citizens (perhaps not tens of thousands but many thousands at least) who are in desperate need of work (even at the wages paid to aliens) and cannot afford the transportation to get to employment or the housing when they reach their destination. If we have reached the point in social discourse where we can openly admit that there is still racism in this country (undeniably on all sides) then I say that it is also time that we say right out loud that there are Americans of every color who are, on a daily basis, cold and hungry and afraid that the car they call home may be stolen while they are out trying to make a days wages in order to feed their starving and sick children. That problem my friends is the most bipartisan problem this country faces and until we have addressed it we should not bring other unfortunate souls here to suffer struggle in conditions that no politician could endure.

There you have it, my Sunday sermon; unfortunately, what I say is true. Even so, this is a great nation and all we have to do to perpetuate it is work together.

There is always hope.

No comments: