Thursday, December 13, 2007

There Are Wifely Duties and Then There Is Cookie Dough

One of my “wifely” duties at this time of year is baking sugar cookies, they are Don’s hands down favorite cookie and as far as he is concerned, there is no point in taking the time and bother to bake anything else. Sugar cookies are time consuming and I am about as artistic as dust but that is not the reason I resisted (vigorously) giving in to making the dratted cookies for years. The sad truth of the matter is that I tried every recipe for sugar cookies I could lay my hands on and no matter what I did; I just could not roll the silly dough out. Inevitably it was too soft or too firm or too thin or any of a hundred things that cookie dough can be too much of, it was not a good exercise in confidence building. And there you have it, another of my dirty little secrets; put a rolling pin in my hand and the best you can expect is for me to begin pounding my head with it. Fortunately for Don I found a recipe for sugar cookies that I can manipulate into something that resembles a cookie, and they don’t taste bad either. If you are interested in the recipe go to http://www.kraftfoods.com/ and look for their 4 – in 1 Cookie Dough recipe.

I suppose that is one of the most wonderful things about life, here I am, soon to be 49 years old and I still have no idea what I do best. I have learned a few lessons on things I do not do well, like rolling dough, but I am still searching for that one thing that I do really well. How much fun is that? I cannot imagine having all the answers and no more mysteries to solve.

One thing that is no mystery to me is where and when I got this yucky cold I am suffering with. I had to get it on the plane coming back from Las Vegas last week. It hit me exactly seven days after we returned home. I will spare us all another tirade on germs, suffice it to say, my feelings have not changed on that score. And now, I think it is off to bed for me. I hope I have enough energy to bake the cookies tomorrow; I needed a three hour nap after mixing them.

There is always hope.

Betty

No comments: