Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Magic Of Music

I think this evening I will take a break from all of the woe is me stuff, because truly, I do not feel that way. I would like instead to invite you to share some of my Christmas/winter memories. There are so many that are for me, moments of light, love and warmth that it almost seems selfish to keep them to myself. Over the next few weeks I will attempt to convey to you what it was like having Christmas and snow and cold in what to some would have been desolate and dire circumstances but are instead for me memories of goodness and love. This is a magical time of year and even at nearly 49 years old that magic has not diminished in my eyes. I hope in the weeks ahead you will see and feel the magic of the season; it is there, just close your eyes and open your heart.


I have been called many things in my lifetime; beautiful was never one of them. For 10 ½ months out of the year I am as plain as the day is long and that suits me just fine; that other month and a half, mid November to January 1, I am, at least in my heart nearly too beautiful to behold. It isn’t really me that is beautiful, but the season. Or at least that is the way it has always felt to me. The air is clearer, smells are spicier and people are nicer and above all the music is more beautiful. Here is a wee secret you may not have guessed about me. I listen to Christmas music all year through because it is the most heartfelt music ever written or performed. That is, I am sure, a very big part of the magic of Christmas, the music.


And speaking of Christmas music, I just purchased two new Christmas albums that are performed by a new favorite artist, Ed Gerhard. Is the internet not the most amazing thing? I am quite positive I would never have heard of Ed Gerhard, much less be able to tell you anything about him prior to the internet. Do let me assure you (if you have never heard of him) you are in for a real treat. Oh, I do wish I knew how to put music clips to this page, no matter; I’ll just have to paint a picture you can hear.


Where to start? Shall we say I had an incontrovertible epiphany when it comes to the subject of acoustic guitar music? No? Sounds painful, doesn’t it? Well, it does sound a little high-nosed, but it was also a lot of fun to write. Perhaps the best testimonial to how beautiful I feel his music is would be to tell you that of all the Christmas music I have ever heard the song I have always liked the least was O Tannenbaum. For me it was always just a silly little piece of music that had no heart; that is until I heard it played on the Christmas album by Ed Gerhard. He pulls the notes from his guitar, each one piercingly sweet and vibrantly clear as they wash over your mind and fill your heart with love and admiration for…of all things, a Christmas tree. And wait until you hear his rendition of Carol of the Bells, the ease with which he performs that particularly complex piece of music is indeed a treat. Another favorite on that album is Variations on Pachelbel’s Canon, incase you are having a difficult time picking up on this; I am smitten with his music. I also purchased his other Christmas album; On A Cold Winter’s Night, it is even more beautiful than Christmas. Warning: DO NOT DRIVE AND LISTEN to this music, it is very relaxing. Thought you should know.

There is always hope.

Betty

1 comment:

DaveStuff said...

Checked it out on UTube.. Pretty groovy guy there...
Smooth playin....
Shine on!