Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Walk is In The Music

I am determined to get something done today. I say that every day and seldom accomplish more than my walk and cooking dinner. Today I will try a different approach; I will try to do a job before I walk. It will be a job that needs doing (no problem finding those) and one I can finish in a fairly short time period. There is no end to how lazy and pathetic it all sounds but the truth is I am as unmotivated as a person can get. Drat this cabin fever!

It is snowing again, Haley is happy, no school today. The forecast of 6-10" changed to 8-15" of new snow by tomorrow. That means I will be walking on my treadmill for quite a few days. The Park doesn't do a very good job of cleaning the roads these days, they stay icy, and snow covered until mother-nature helps out with thawing what the plows missed.

Enough of that. When I have the luxury of walking outside, I listen to music. My favorite companions lately have been The Great Lake Swimmers (they are fabulous), Glenn Miller, Percy Faith & His Orchestra and Medwyn Goodall. I have learned the hard way that when walking it really is all in the music. The mellow, peaceful music that I enjoy most is not to be tolerated when walking; it slows my pace and time stretches to eternity. In short, relaxing music turns walking into a punishment. I was very disappointed when I discovered this as I seem always to be searching for a clam center and music helps me find it. It has taken a while to wrap my mind around the thought that walking for exercise is not an exercise in meditation. I think I've got it now.

I feel obligated to state that I am so very thankful to God for my very small inconveniences and annoyances. These are troubled times and millions suffer here and abroad. Cabin fever breaks come spring and a healthy walk can be accomplished with a few clicks and changing the music. Snow melts and we really have no where we have to go. I am blessed.

There is always hope.

 

No comments: