Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Great Lady Bug Hunt

The use of the word hate generally rings a note of distaste in me, it is a truly terrible word and when directed at another human being it is always used with the intention of inflicting pain. There are exceptions to every rule and one major exception in the use of the word hate is when it is applied to bugs. I hate bugs with a true, deep and abiding hate that is so powerful it makes me tremble. At the moment I hate lady bugs to the point of total distraction.

Jennifer said I am a freak, when it comes to some things I suppose she is correct; when it comes to others, I suppose it is only a matter of time until the men in the little white coats come looking for me. Bugs; what can I say? I have been known to sleep in my own bed with cotton in my ears for fear a bug would… let's not go there. While I go tooling round my yard on my John Deere riding mower I have my ears plugged with cotton not because of noise but because of bugs. To clarify; my own unique definition of bug is: anything smaller than a human baby that crawls, walks, flies or rides its' way into within ten feet of me.

I have spent the last half hour on a quest for bugs in my house. With Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italien boldly playing on the CD player I stalked and swept and vacuumed and I hope I have cleared my house of the dreaded bugs for once and for all. It would seem that I have a lady bug infestation and Don can't seem to stop laughing at my freakish obsession of wanting to get rid of them. I get no help from that corner, I can tell you. He is due home any moment from track practice and then my hunt will begin again because every time the doors are opened about a thousand bugs come in.

At least I don't have to worry about what I'll be doing tomorrow.

There is always hope.     

1 comment:

ArtPropelled said...

I don't think you would enjoy living here in S.Africa. A 10cm praying mantis in flight.....towards me, will have me shrieking like a banshee. I love ladybugs though.